Fresh Off the Presses: Justin Timberlake – Suit & Tie
Something must be in the water because all of the vets have decided to put out new material. Destiny’s Child, Fantasia, and now Justin Timberlake have all, seemingly out of nowhere, put out new songs.
After a years-long hiatus and a final countdown to heighten anticipation, Justin has released Suit and Tie featuring Jay-Z (purchase on iTunes here), a laid-back mid-tempo number that harkens back to the spirit of “Justified” and the musical nature of “FutureSex/LoveSounds”. The entirety of the song seems to hang on the hope that repeating “suit and tie” as many times as possible will make it catch on with the public. But where is the substance? After waiting for years for Justin to make music again, all we get is a song about how good he looks in a suit and tie? And how good some girl looks? I can’t say that the song is bad, or even that it won’t be a success (it IS Justin Timberlake after all), but you’re supposed to come back with a bang … not a whisper.
Give the song a listen below, and sound off in the comments about what you think of it.
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- How Shonda Rhimes’ move to Netflix chips away at the whiteness of Hollwood - August 15, 2017
- Marvel’s’ Black Panther’ gets rid of the racism and keeps the story - August 8, 2017
- Why ‘Girls Trip’ Matters - August 7, 2017
- Why Oprah Passed on ‘Underground’ But HBO Picked Up ‘Confederate’ - July 31, 2017
- How Jay-Z’s ‘4:44’ moment made me reassess my 4:45 - July 20, 2017