Music Mondays: TLC – What About Your Friends
In honor of TLC’s 20th anniversary and the premiere of their biopic tonight, the song of the week is TLC’s “What About Your Friends.”
Released August 28, 1992, the song reached #7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #2 on the Hot R&B Singles chart. It was the group’s third consecutive top ten single after “Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg” and “Baby-Baby-Baby.”
However, what is most notable about the song was it’s music video. It showcased the bright colors and urban styling that dominated TLC’s Ooooooohhh… On the TLC Tip era. Their youthful exuberance and playfulness was infectious, and even though their budget was clearly slim, it clearly didn’t faze them. The video even had a cameo from Jermaine Dupri.
Watch the video below and look out for our review on the TLC’s biopic CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story coming soon!
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Why the Grammys don’t matter anymore - February 15, 2019
- Y’all aren’t checking for the Emmys anymore, and it’s about time - September 24, 2018
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018
- The legacy ‘Scandal’ leaves behind - April 20, 2018