Music Mondays: Jay Z – “99 Problems”
The song, off of The Black Album, discusses many issues, but most ironically, the entire second verse is dedicated to his own experience with racial profiling.
So I, pull over to the side of the road, I heard
“Son do you know why I’m stopping you for”
Cause I’m young and I’m black and my hat’s real low
Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don’t know
Am I under arrest or should I guess some more?
“Well you was doing fifty-five in a fifty-four”
Though Jay seems to be playing it cool and acting like we should all just wait for the “whole truth” to come out, it’s clear that his association with the luxury brand is simply adding to the list of his problems. So, is Jay Z is being hypocritical or just a staunch businessman?
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- We are not Wakanda. We are Erik Killmonger. - February 19, 2018
- Reckoning with the anti-Black mathematics of mainstream awards shows - February 7, 2018
- Understanding the importance of Black Superheroes - January 18, 2018
- How Netflix’s ‘Bright 2’ can succeed where ‘Bright’ didn’t - January 3, 2018
- 12 songs you need for a lit holiday season - November 30, 2017