10 Essential Holiday Songs For Millennials
The holiday season is upon us, and without fail, the radio waves are now packed with holiday tunes both classic and new. So where’s a millenial to turn for a holiday music fix? None other than the WCC Holiday Mixtape!
This year we’ve done all the work for you and compiled the must hear holiday music, tailored of course to a millenial’s ear. Listen to the tracks below and download the full set HERE!
1. Jennifer Hudson Ft. Luke James, Jacob Latimore & Grace Gibson – Hush Child
From the soundtrack for the film Black Nativity, this song is a nice spin on the holiday classic Silent Night. Each performer gives a great performance and their voices complement each other beautifully.
2. Amber Riley – Try a Little Tenderness
Amber Riley, the powerhouse voice from GLEE showcases her pipes all over this classic. She takes it to church.
3. Toni Braxton and Babyface – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Toni and Babyface play the part of ex-lovers just sending Christmas cheer to each other. Of course there is an undercurrent of lingering love too. And nothing beats a Toni Braxton vocal.
4. Tamar Braxton – She Can Have You
Tamar laments being single on Christmas, especially after breaking up with her boyfriend two weeks ago and already seeing him buying gifts with someone else. In the process, she delivers some serious, passionate soul.
5. Tevin Campbell – I Know That My Redeemer Liveth
A track from Quincy Jones’ Handel’s Messiah, it is a modern take on the classical opus. Listen and remember a time when Tevin’s voice was everything.
6. TLC – Sleigh Ride
Anybody that grewup through the 90’s should look back fondly on TLC’s holiday offering. It’s holiday cheer the way that only TLC could pull off.
7. Boyz II Men – Let It Snow feat. Brian McKnight
This has to be the perennial new age Christmas jam. While the generations before had the Temptation and Nat King Cole, we’ve got Boyz II Men and Brian McKnight. You’ve truly achieved something if you manage to now hear this song in the month of December.
8. RaVaughn – Just Another Holiday
Just recently released, this fresh-faced songbird laments spending the holidays away from the man she loves. She knows that without love, any holiday is just another day of the year.
9. Chris Brown – This Christmas
Chris Brown recorded this song for the soundtrack for the movie “This Christmas” in 2007. Reminisce on a time before tattoos, Rihanna, and domestic abuse. Things were simpler then.
10. Destiny’s Child – Carol of the Bells A.k.a Opera of the Bells
Everybody just had to have this Christmas album when it came out. Destiny’ Child was at their height as a group, and Beyonce was in her full experimental mode. Listen to the trio mimic bells the best they can
Enjoy the songs and don’t forget to download the complete mixtape HERE!
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- 12 songs you need for a lit holiday season - November 30, 2017
- 12 series every millennial should bingewatch over the holidays - November 27, 2017
- 5 Black-led movies you gotta see in December - November 20, 2017
- FOX’s ‘The Gifted’ has a whiteness problem - November 2, 2017
- Hollywood’s issues with abuse don’t start or end with Harvey Weinstein - October 18, 2017