Music Mondays: Jazmine Sullivan – ‘Dumb’
Her new single “Dumb” features Meek Mill and is built upon a glorious foundation that is one part operatic and one part urban grit. In the song, she points out how dumb her beau must be to think that she doesn’t know what is really going on when they are not together. The lyrical content isn’t anything new or game-changing; she just goes right to the point, keeping things plain and simple.
The song could really do without the bars from Meek Mill as his shoes could easily have been filled by any other rapper out right now, but his section does a pretty good job of serving as a transition to the second half of the song. And content-wise, it is nice to have a counterpoint to the assertions that Ms. Sullivan is making.
The crown jewel, of course, is Sullivan’s raspy molasses vocals. She has that classic R&B flair with a touch of reggae funk that makes her one of a kind. She is what the game has been missing.
Look out for her forthcoming third album Reality Show in the near future from RCA Records.
Did you miss the one and only Jazmine Sullivan? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018
- The legacy ‘Scandal’ leaves behind - April 20, 2018
- ABC’s ‘The Crossing’ is classic white-centric fantasy sci-fi - April 9, 2018
- Dear entertainment industry: “Inclusivity” isn’t giving us your leftovers - March 13, 2018