John Legend Shows Every Woman is Beautiful in “You and I” Video
Full disclosure: While I watched this video, I almost cried. I wasn’t emotional just because the song is absolutely stellar (as is pretty much any melodic or spoken word that flows from John Legend‘s lips). I was emotional because – instead of the full breasted, model types that we are used to seeing in hip hop videos – the new video for “You and I (Nobody in the World)” featured women you might see (or fail to really see) everyday. It was simply beautiful. And real.
From the young girl questioning how the boys might view her new haircut to the older woman facing her breast cancer scars, this video shows us the reflections we women see in the mirror each day. We see a woman greeting her young child with Down Syndrome with a loving embrace. We also see the gorgeous and amazing Laverne Cox stripping down her makeup after an appearance. Legend chose to spotlight the beauty in every woman because we are all beautiful.
It is so touching and practically antithetical to any music video on television today. It’s worth watching (several times).
View the full video below:
What do you think? Is this a great direction for R&B and Hip Hop video making? Was it missing something? Sound off in the comments below.
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Jenn M. Jackson (see all)
- Why I’m not bashing Omarosa Manigault with y’all - August 18, 2018
- We can’t exist anywhere so let’s just drop the “while Black” - May 12, 2018
- Reckoning, the Combahee River Collective, and Black Women’s History Month - April 2, 2018
- And then there are the ones we left behind… - March 14, 2018
- On being Black, being disposed of, and seeking status. - January 31, 2018