Jazmine Sullivan Shows Directorial Prowess in ‘Forever Don’t Last’ Video
In the clip, we find Sullivan in a low place after a breakup. Juxtaposing her current troubles in love against the longevity of her grandparents’ marriage (playing themselves), she conveys a simple yet powerful message about the changing face of relationships.
Directed by Sullivan alongside her mother Pam and Eshon Burgundy, the video has a strong natural aesthetic with beautiful landscape shots and a muted color palette. This look pairs perfectly with the somber tone of the song. Jazmine Sullivan stands as the centerpiece of it all, emoting feelings of longing, sadness, and eventually, anger.
To cap things off, Sullivan gets her own Angela Bassett Waiting to Exhale moment in at the end, burning a wedding dress and smoking a cigarette.
Watch the video below and look for her album Reality Show to bow early in 2015.
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- FOX’s ‘The Gifted’ has a whiteness problem - November 2, 2017
- Hollywood’s issues with abuse don’t start or end with Harvey Weinstein - October 18, 2017
- It makes no damn sense that ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ isn’t part of CBS’s prime time lineup - October 16, 2017
- A primer on how to actually support a Black TV show - September 25, 2017
- Shonda Rhimes is right: the 2017 Emmys were “embarrassing” - September 19, 2017