Jazmine Sullivan Shows Directorial Prowess in ‘Forever Don’t Last’ Video
In the clip, we find Sullivan in a low place after a breakup. Juxtaposing her current troubles in love against the longevity of her grandparents’ marriage (playing themselves), she conveys a simple yet powerful message about the changing face of relationships.
Directed by Sullivan alongside her mother Pam and Eshon Burgundy, the video has a strong natural aesthetic with beautiful landscape shots and a muted color palette. This look pairs perfectly with the somber tone of the song. Jazmine Sullivan stands as the centerpiece of it all, emoting feelings of longing, sadness, and eventually, anger.
To cap things off, Sullivan gets her own Angela Bassett Waiting to Exhale moment in at the end, burning a wedding dress and smoking a cigarette.
Watch the video below and look for her album Reality Show to bow early in 2015.
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Understanding the importance of Black Superheroes - January 18, 2018
- How Netflix’s ‘Bright 2’ can succeed where ‘Bright’ didn’t - January 3, 2018
- 12 songs you need for a lit holiday season - November 30, 2017
- 12 series every millennial should bingewatch over the holidays - November 27, 2017
- 5 Black-led movies you gotta see in December - November 20, 2017