Jazmine Sullivan Shows Directorial Prowess in ‘Forever Don’t Last’ Video
In the clip, we find Sullivan in a low place after a breakup. Juxtaposing her current troubles in love against the longevity of her grandparents’ marriage (playing themselves), she conveys a simple yet powerful message about the changing face of relationships.
Directed by Sullivan alongside her mother Pam and Eshon Burgundy, the video has a strong natural aesthetic with beautiful landscape shots and a muted color palette. This look pairs perfectly with the somber tone of the song. Jazmine Sullivan stands as the centerpiece of it all, emoting feelings of longing, sadness, and eventually, anger.
To cap things off, Sullivan gets her own Angela Bassett Waiting to Exhale moment in at the end, burning a wedding dress and smoking a cigarette.
Watch the video below and look for her album Reality Show to bow early in 2015.
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Y’all aren’t checking for the Emmys anymore, and it’s about time - September 24, 2018
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018
- The legacy ‘Scandal’ leaves behind - April 20, 2018
- ABC’s ‘The Crossing’ is classic white-centric fantasy sci-fi - April 9, 2018