D’Angelo is Attempting to Break the Internet with ‘Sugah Daddy’
The world has been waiting for years to see the return of D’Angelo. There have been false starts along the way, and many believed that weight gain of all things might be the nail in the coffin of his career. But through it all, fans kept hope alive like they do for the return of Lauryn Hill. Now, at long last, D’Angelo has properly returned to the music scene with “Sugah Daddy.”
The first track released off of the impending album Black Messiah, “Sugah Daddy” has that same classic soul we’ve come to expect from D’Angelo (now D’Angelo and The Vanguard). The bass will rock you to your bones, the funk is on fire, and that legendary falsetto is still intact. The instrumentation is on point, fusing together piano, horns, and electric guitar for a sound that is uniquely D’Angelo.
We don’t know the exact date of the album’s release (12/16/14 is the rumor), but the promotion train has started and hard copies have already been spotted in NYC. But after having his voice absent from the game for so long, I’m not sure if the masses are ready. Are you?
Stream the song and check out the tracklist for Black Messiah below.
1. “Ain’t That Easy”
2. “1000 Deaths”
3. “The Charade”
4. “Sugah Daddy”
5. “Really Love”
6. “Back in the Future (Part I)”
7. “Till It’s Done (Tutu)”
9. “Betray My Heart”
10. “The Door”
11. “Back in the Future (Part II)”
12. “Another Life”
So, PLAY OR PASS? Tell us you vote in the comments section below!
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018
- The legacy ‘Scandal’ leaves behind - April 20, 2018
- ABC’s ‘The Crossing’ is classic white-centric fantasy sci-fi - April 9, 2018
- Dear entertainment industry: “Inclusivity” isn’t giving us your leftovers - March 13, 2018