Tamar Braxton’s “If I Don’t Have You” Serves Straight R&B Slayage
Multi-hyphenate extraordinaire Tamar Braxton (singer, talk show host, reality TV star, mommy, etc.) has finally released more material off of her forthcoming album Calling All Lovers. After her lead single “Let Me Know” (rightfully) didn’t receive a warm welcome on the charts, she’s back with the R&B-heavy jam “If I Don’t Have You.”
Tamar pulls from the classic Motown sound to create “If I Don’t Have You,” a track that is part throwback and part new-hotness. No fancy studio effects are needed here; her voice sounds stronger than ever, fully commanding her four-octave range. Braxton belts out her feelings over a sparse piano, bass guitar, and drum set. Without the love of her life, she’s done; she’ll lose her mind; she’ll basically quit at life. We feel you Tamar.
This sentiment is punctuated with an assortment of vocal acrobatics, growls, and flights up into her whisper register (take that Mariah).
Though not an instant winner like “Love and War,” “If I Don’t Have You” is undeniable. Tamar sounds more sure of herself than she ever has (I know, that’s saying a lot), and she is vocally at the top of her game. If you’re not a Tamartian yet, this might be the one to win you over.
Download the new single “If I Don’t Have You” now and look out for the new album Calling All Lovers due July 31st.
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Why the Grammys don’t matter anymore - February 15, 2019
- Y’all aren’t checking for the Emmys anymore, and it’s about time - September 24, 2018
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018
- The legacy ‘Scandal’ leaves behind - April 20, 2018