#ICYMI: This Video Explains the Differences Between Latino, Hispanic, and Spanish
I know that I have made mistakes when describing or addressing some of my friends and peers of Spanish, Hispanic, and Latino descent. Be it ignorance or suffering from a colonized mind, I think many people, especially most Americans, struggle with understanding how language, place of origin, historical lineage, and other racial and ethnic markers can intersect in one family line. And, we live in a society so hell-bent on stereotyping, marginalizing, and categorizing human beings for our own comfort that it sometimes feels impossible to really understand who people are and how they see themselves.
This short video from Bustle and Kat Lazo helps to clear up some of the confusion between terms like Hispanic, Latino, and Spanish in an effort to de-colonize and dismantle some of the pre-conceived notions we have about race, language, and ethnicity. Overall, the message is about giving folks space to identify (or not identify) however they wish rather than projecting our own expectations, norms, standards, and/or ideal upon them.
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Jenn M. Jackson (see all)
- New Year, Same Me - January 7, 2019
- Why I’m not bashing Omarosa Manigault with y’all - August 18, 2018
- We can’t exist anywhere so let’s just drop the “while Black” - May 12, 2018
- Reckoning, the Combahee River Collective, and Black Women’s History Month - April 2, 2018
- And then there are the ones we left behind… - March 14, 2018