That Moment When You See the Full Length “Why You Always Lying” Video…
I feel like there isn’t any real way to describe the cultural phenomenon that is the “Why You Always Lying” video. Made popular by short Vine entries, the song is a play on the 1997 hit “Too Close” by the trio Next. It features a YouTuber named “Downgoes Fraser” (Nicholas Fraser) for whom this is his only video entry. This is probably the funniest way to introduce yourself to the social media world.
The song is a critique of that one lying ass friend who always embellishes the things they do. Overnight, they pop up with a yacht, a date with Beyoncé, or a medical degree – none of which they can actually produce as proof – and, suddenly, you wonder, “Why the f*ck you lyin?”
My favorite ad-lib from the song is when Fraser – who actually is a terrible singer but it’s okay – says “I like the way you lie. You wastin all my time. All the things you do, I know it’s not the truth.”
Frankly, this was comedic before I knew there was a full video. But, now, with the rain, the back up dancers, and the props, I am crine at this production.
Watch the video above but don’t turn it on at work. We aren’t responsible if you get fired.
Photo credit: YouTube/still
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Jenn M. Jackson (see all)
- If Colin Kaepernick is for Black lives, he won’t go back to the NFL - August 12, 2017
- For some of us, it’s time to enter a Year of ‘No’ - August 10, 2017
- I was most comfortable with my identity when I was anti-Black - August 4, 2017
- 11 reasons why the ‘American Dream’ is a violent nightmare if you’re Black - July 25, 2017
- It is impossible to love Black women and R-Kelly at the same time - July 17, 2017