Mary J. Blige, Taraji P. Henson, and Kerry Washington Slayed That Apple Commercial at the Emmys
Just to be both clear and consistent, we aren’t even Apple fans around here. We have criticized them time and again about their predatory and unethical practices. All of that still stands. Howsoever…the Apple Music commercial (above) featuring Mary J. Blige, Taraji P. Henson, and Kerry Washington at last night’s Emmy Awards was peak Black Girl Magic.
The short clip was directed by none other than Ava DuVernay, President of the Black Girl Magic Cinema Association (no, that’s not a real thing but it should be). And, there will be a few more of the fun and entertaining commercials showing up over the next few months. Frankly, we can’t wait to see them.
While these commercials won’t be converting us to Apple users, they will help solidify the year 2015 as the Year of the Black Girl. Watch the video above to get your entire life on this good Monday.
Photo credit: YouTube/Still
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Jenn M. Jackson (see all)
- We can’t exist anywhere so let’s just drop the “while Black” - May 12, 2018
- Reckoning, the Combahee River Collective, and Black Women’s History Month - April 2, 2018
- And then there are the ones we left behind… - March 14, 2018
- On being Black, being disposed of, and seeking status. - January 31, 2018
- Getting socks for Christmas: On the pain we carry from holidays past - December 23, 2017