Watch Franchesca Ramsey’s Hilarious Video ‘White People Whitesplain Whitesplaining’
“I grew up in a diverse neighborhood. So, I understand your struggles.”
It’s sad how many times I have actually heard some variant of this claim. Franchesca Ramsey has been delivering funny videos on YouTube for some time. But, her recent spots on MTV’s Decoded dealing with race and White Privilege are spot-on in showing the absurdity of racial attitudes in mainstream (colorblind) culture.
This particular clip is both funny and sad because one the one hand its satirical but on the other hand, it too closely resembles actual lived experiences of many trans, queer, and cis people of color, in particular. While I laughed a few times, I also considered how these efforts to silence and erase people on the margins reinforces oppression. Hopefully, Ramsey will tackle some of those issues in her next video.
Watch the video ‘White People Whitesplain Whitesplaining’ and sound off in the comments below.
Photo credit: YouTube
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Jenn M. Jackson (see all)
- It is impossible to love Black women and R-Kelly at the same time - July 17, 2017
- How we use the term ‘hater’ to avoid reflection and self-improvement - July 12, 2017
- On ‘4:44’, maleness, and the performance of the public apology - July 10, 2017
- It’s even harder to watch ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ when you know Black women’s history - June 9, 2017
- It’s time to stop trying to integrate ‘SNL’ - May 30, 2017