Watch Franchesca Ramsey’s Hilarious Video ‘White People Whitesplain Whitesplaining’
“I grew up in a diverse neighborhood. So, I understand your struggles.”
It’s sad how many times I have actually heard some variant of this claim. Franchesca Ramsey has been delivering funny videos on YouTube for some time. But, her recent spots on MTV’s Decoded dealing with race and White Privilege are spot-on in showing the absurdity of racial attitudes in mainstream (colorblind) culture.
This particular clip is both funny and sad because one the one hand its satirical but on the other hand, it too closely resembles actual lived experiences of many trans, queer, and cis people of color, in particular. While I laughed a few times, I also considered how these efforts to silence and erase people on the margins reinforces oppression. Hopefully, Ramsey will tackle some of those issues in her next video.
Watch the video ‘White People Whitesplain Whitesplaining’ and sound off in the comments below.
Photo credit: YouTube
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Jenn M. Jackson (see all)
- Why I’m excited but cautious about the electoral wins across the country this week - November 9, 2017
- We need to bring back ‘The Jeffersons’ for the culture - October 27, 2017
- Okay Amanda Seales, but your race and gender analysis with no class analysis is inherently anti-Black - October 9, 2017
- Why we have to stop letting racists and misogynists gaslight racial and gender minorities - October 5, 2017
- It’s time we honor Black women for their anti-racist work - September 16, 2017