It’s The Same (Epic) Missy Elliott in Her ‘WTF’ Video
In her new video for her single “WTF,” Elliott stays true to the artist she has always been. She comes with a number of outrageous outfits from a mirrored sweatsuit with matching makeup to mashups of futuristic and hip hop elements from the 80’s. And the dancing is epic from start to finish.
But no Missy video is complete without the weird. When Pharrell shows up for a feature midway through the track, he is only in the video in marionette form. While his bars are mostly uneventful, the use of these marionettes, moving astonishingly similar to real human movement, was a genius move on Elliott’s part. And that’s just the beginning of Missy’s innovation here, using technology and shear creativity to create another captivating visual.
For the song itself, Missy is a pure form, employing her trademark sound effects, playful delivery, and scathing lyricism. My favorite part:
I’m so far ahead of ya’ll
Man I’m on top of the stars
I don’t care none of your …
Blah-blah-blah, you best to go rewrite your bars
Can’t nobody do it like Missy.
Yep. She’s definitely back. And she has been missed.
Watch the video below:
Photo: courtesy Missy Elliott Twitter
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- 5 Black-led movies you gotta see in December - November 20, 2017
- FOX’s ‘The Gifted’ has a whiteness problem - November 2, 2017
- Hollywood’s issues with abuse don’t start or end with Harvey Weinstein - October 18, 2017
- It makes no damn sense that ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ isn’t part of CBS’s prime time lineup - October 16, 2017
- A primer on how to actually support a Black TV show - September 25, 2017