Maxwell’s “Lake By The Ocean” Will Captivate Your Soul
It’s the return of the one and only Maxwell. After forcing us to wait years in between projects, Maxwell has dropped “Lake By The Ocean”, the first single from his next album titled blackSUMMERS’night.
We asked for new music from Maxwell this year, and he has delivered. As you might expect, “Lake By The Ocean” is another laid back jam, perfect for chill sessions. Written and produced by Musze and his longtime collaborator Hod David, Maxwell is right in his sweet spot vocally as he pleads to swim in a lake by the ocean with his lover. This is a no frills production, boasting soulful backing and instrumentation.
That trademarked falsetto is there, playing its part right when it’s needed and reminding us that no one on Earth has a voice like Maxwell. Content wise, Maxwell isn’t offering up anything different than what we’ve seen before, but then again, he doesn’t need to. Maxwell knows his lane well, and stays right in its center.
Watch the lyric video below, and get into the new classic.
Photo credit: Maxwell Instagram
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Shonda Rhimes is right: the 2017 Emmys were “embarrassing” - September 19, 2017
- On Nnedi Okorafor and when Hollywood values our work but erases our names - September 14, 2017
- The definitive list of the 9 most slept on Black films of the 2000s - September 4, 2017
- Why we speak up when Hollywood whitewashes our favorite characters of color - August 30, 2017
- How Shonda Rhimes’ move to Netflix chips away at the whiteness of Hollywood - August 15, 2017