Leslie Odom Jr.’s “Seriously” Imagines Obama’s Thoughts On Trump
In the below video for “Seriously”, Leslie Odom Jr. of Hamilton fame sings the thoughts that President Obama might be having about Donald Trump as you election season is coming to a close.
Premiered on last week’s episode of This American Life, you might expect this to be another attempt at humor in this raucous political climate, but instead, the Sara Bareilles penned song is heartfelt and stunningly serious. The jazzed out production is smooth, with live instrumentation and Odom’s pitch perfect delivery creating a particularly stunning composition. He points out that for Americans to even consider Trump as seriously as they do is a stiff slap in his face after all he has endured and done over the past 8 years.
“After all we’ve done
Every battle hard won
Every hair gone gray
In the name of this place
In a history plagued
With incredible mistakes
Still I pledge my allegiance to these
United divided States
As the election draws to a close, I can’t help but feel the gravitas of those words. Whether you loved, hated, or felt indifferent to Obama’s eight years in office, he did devote the entirety of his life to the prosperity of our nation. And I have to imagine that staring down the possibility of a Trump presidency would be particularly painful.
Click play on the video below, share with your friends, and VOTE!
Photo Credit: Leslie Odom Jr. Facebook
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Outgoing President Cheryl Boone Isaacs is the Academy’s burned out Black friend - May 22, 2017
- The best episodes from Netflix’s ‘Dear White People’ ranked - May 2, 2017
- Vince Vaughn Can Keep His Race-Police Relations Documentary - April 24, 2017
- 8 Reasons #RenewTheGetDown Is Important - April 17, 2017
- Underground’s Harriet Tubman Episode Shows the Importance of Diversity Behind the Camera - April 10, 2017