Fresh Off the Presses: Justin Timberlake – Suit & Tie
Something must be in the water because all of the vets have decided to put out new material. Destiny’s Child, Fantasia, and now Justin Timberlake have all, seemingly out of nowhere, put out new songs.
After a years-long hiatus and a final countdown to heighten anticipation, Justin has released Suit and Tie featuring Jay-Z (purchase on iTunes here), a laid-back mid-tempo number that harkens back to the spirit of “Justified” and the musical nature of “FutureSex/LoveSounds”. The entirety of the song seems to hang on the hope that repeating “suit and tie” as many times as possible will make it catch on with the public. But where is the substance? After waiting for years for Justin to make music again, all we get is a song about how good he looks in a suit and tie? And how good some girl looks? I can’t say that the song is bad, or even that it won’t be a success (it IS Justin Timberlake after all), but you’re supposed to come back with a bang … not a whisper.
Give the song a listen below, and sound off in the comments about what you think of it.
[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/74895432″ params=”” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Why the Grammys don’t matter anymore - February 15, 2019
- Y’all aren’t checking for the Emmys anymore, and it’s about time - September 24, 2018
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018
- The legacy ‘Scandal’ leaves behind - April 20, 2018