The Non-Drama of Meagan Good’s “Revealing” Dress

meagan-good-nipple-pokes-cleavy-dress-at-bet-awards-03-435x580If you could see me right now, you would see me slowly shaking my head at all the hypocrites out there criticizing 31-year-old stunning actress Meagan Good for her dazzling blue dress she donned this past Sunday at the 2013 BET Awards.

Good sported a Michael Corsello creation with a deep cut v-shaped neckline which revealed most of her cleavage almost down to her navel. The neckline was accompanied by a very high split showcasing her winning legs. Now, in all truth, most women would have absolutely no business in the dress. But, folks have been admonishing Good not because of the way she looked (because she clearly wore it well), but, instead, they are flouting her attire as un-Christian. Seems a bit asinine, no?

Here is some background on these concerns. Last year, Good married film producer and Seventh Day Adventist preacher DeVon Franklin. And, while I will admit that presenting the Best Gospel Artist award in that particular gown was racy, I am still not understanding the public outcry from the Christian community. Twitter erupted and Facebook crooned as Good took the stage. Everyone simultaneously clutched their pearls and “Hallelujah” church scarves. All the women shrieked “Ahhh boobies!” While all the men murmured “Ahhh boobies…”

Here we are, days later, still talking about the Deception and Think Like a Man star’s physique instead of something more productive like President Obama’s recent trip to Africa or the upheaval in Egypt. Nope, we are wasting our time talking about two things Americans seemed consistently distracted by…breasts.

Good was so taken aback by her critics that she had to respond via Instagram.

“…I don’t feel convicted about this at all. my spirit is saddened that our people only know one way to think and process things..

I’m not any less holy because the dress I wore -I may not be who people think I should be -but I’m morphing into exactly who God wants me to be.. My excuse is never “I’m going to do me” and I don’t feel that I need to make an excuse or defend or what I wore .. I know I have a responsibility -and I’m working daily to fulfill the full potential of all God has created me to be..

A dialogue was started about my character, integrity, my walk with God and my Husband -simply based on a dress that I wore.., Of course I’m going to have a reaction to people saying negative things… It’s just sad..

Makes me sad not regretful.. My heart and spirit is always open to whatever my Father would want to share with me… And my spirit tells me to be exactly who I authentically am -because that’s what’s going to reach who I was authentically designed to touch.. people like me who are often misunderstood and told their cut of God’s promise -because they don’t look the role …when God doesn’t care about us “looking the role”..he has always cared about bringing us in -and us being whatever we need to be to bring Those left out in ..

And it just makes me sad that us as Christians can’t see beyond our initial reaction and don’t seek God before they attack other brothers and sisters …and never think for one moment that: God knows what he’s doing and he uses everything for his glory .. and he has a plan for every specific situation.. I [didn’t have] intentions on anything .. Merely picked a dress I saw and loved … God knows my heart and that I didn’t do anything wrong .. And he will use even people’s thoughts to bring him glory.”

Meagan Good and HusbandWhat folks fail to acknowledge is that her husband was standing right alongside her that night. They obviously were on one accord when it came to her wardrobe. And, last I checked, clothing was not a necessary prerequisite to ungodliness nor is conservative attire needed to make the model Christian, just saying.

What I will say is this, Meagan Good looked amazeballs. I wanted to cover my husbands eyes but that was my problem, not hers. She is an actress who has ALWAYS been sexy. She was sexy before she got married and I assume she will stay that way as long as she can muster it. There was no cursing, twerking, booty-popping, or whorishness in her behavior and, to me, that is more indicative of someone’s character than a few drapes of cloth.

This reminds me of Janet Jackson’s transformation, a true catharsis really. Recently, she married a zillionaire named Wissam al-Mana and reportedly converted to Islam. She has been photographed wearing a hijab covering her head and more traditional conservative clothing. Now, we all remember Janet’s infamous wardrobe malfunction. And I feel like I have had a close and intimate relationship with Janet since she roamed around a mansion naked in “Every Time.” But, now, she puts on a head covering and baggy clothes and that makes her wholesome? Puhlease. Her perky pierced boobies still exist my friends.

Is that what stars are supposed to do? Should Meagan Good start wearing church hats and knee-length skirts now that she’s a married lady? I think not. Trying to minimize her attractiveness for your own comfort won’t make her any less hot. And, sadly, covering her cleavage won’t make her any more or less sanctified and holy.

So, all you women (and men) out there offended by Meagan Good’s breasts, next time, just turn the show off. Better yet, get a hobby. Read a book. Perhaps the Bible. Because if you were looking at the BET Awards for some type of sanctimonious gratification, you are obviously confuzzled. Get yo’ life hunties and get out of Meagan’s closet.

The following two tabs change content below.

Jenn M. Jackson

Co-Founder/Editor-in-Chief
Jenn M. Jackson, PhD is a co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Water Cooler Convos. She is a native of Oakland, CA. Jenn is a radical Black feminist scholar who believes none of us are free until all of us are free.

14 Responses

1. GoodLooknOut says:

It looks great on her BUT even if I possessed the same body type or a body type of equal value it’s still too revealing for my taste. #Imjustsayin

2. Nicole says:

Very well said!!!

3. Jeaneen Benson says:

I think she looked stunning.. and my GOD.. it’s an award show… a music award show so the looks are generally more edgy. But whatever… it’s all in good fun and it doesn’t make her anything but a child of GOD… ((shrugs)) what a non-issue. Same folks hollerin have probably shown their flapjacks on more than one occasion… smdh!

4. L. Providence says:

I constantly say this.. and I will probably need to say this for like.. ever: People need to get hobbies. I don’t see how Good’s dress has any importance on anyone’s life at all. Good’s dress is not paying my bills or putting food on my table — so it does not bother me. I’m going to need all these ‘God fearing folks’ to have several seats, open up their Bibles & turn off BET. Ugh, I cant.

L.
    TheNativeNewYawker.com

5. I would agree that it is extremely revealing. But, part of me is like, how many dresses worn by Hollywood starlets aren’t revealing? I think I have come to expect some boobage at these shows. So, I was pleased that she wore it well rather than having some untimely slippage issues or something. Thanks for commenting:)

6. Thank you. Come back soon:)

7. Agreed. The argument seems obtuse to me.

8. Jeaneen Benson says:

Where’s the LIKE button when you need it??? Chile… AMEN….

9. Chocolate Vent says:

You left out the part about her wearing that dress while presenting a GOSPEL award. I don’t care for her dress but only a fool would think that dress is appropriate for that category.

People also fail to mention that her husband preached about abstinence & how deeply rooted he was in his faith prior to marriage. Why on earth would he be okay with his wife showing his goods to the whole world? She may be new to the church, but he isn’t.

BET should’ve checked her wardrobe before letting her on stage.

10. Wowo C says:

I agree. In Hollywood, it’s perfectly ok to show off your body because there is no accountability. In this case, I would have to question where both Mr. and Mrs. Franklin’s heads were when deciding on that dress for the event. It is about two things clearly, one, this couple’s heart is at a place that it’s only the Lord’s business to know and two, I make the previous comment because a move like that dress causes men and women alike to stumble, therefore, I would expect someone grounded in the faith to love others by not making them stumble. It is clear that though we have our own personal convictions, what is clear in the Scriptures prevail. Megan has to be careful what and how she presents herself not because she is a pastor’s wife and has to be perfect but, because there are people [believers and non-believers alike] looking at her as an ambassador of the faith and stumbling into sin because she is not aware of how much our lives represent Christ. She does not need to be criticized at all but, search the Word and seek the Spirit’s clarity on this, so that if needed, she may repent and move forward.

11. Agreed. That dress didn’t really scream Gospel Award. But, I intentionally left that out because I didn’t really see the significance in mentioning it given the fact that the BET Awards are, on the whole, ratchet. The Gospel Award category seems ceremonial to me rather than top priority or representative of the true goals of the show. Wouldn’t you say so?

12. Gianna says:

Looking for work glucophage generic It was over, done, the first time since 1991 the Yanks were eliminated at home during the regular season, a humbling event completed Wednesday night in a nearly empty stadium. And then when the clubhouse opened, that was nearly empty as well.

13. Ethan says:

Could I order a new chequebook, please? betamethasone 0.1 ointment india The London court case brought by Pavel Karpov is an interesting development, because if the case comes in front of a judge it would be likely to throw up details that officials fingered for their alleged involvement in the fraud would perhaps prefer to keep quiet.