Music Mondays: Jay Z – “99 Problems”
The song, off of The Black Album, discusses many issues, but most ironically, the entire second verse is dedicated to his own experience with racial profiling.
So I, pull over to the side of the road, I heard
“Son do you know why I’m stopping you for”
Cause I’m young and I’m black and my hat’s real low
Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don’t know
Am I under arrest or should I guess some more?
“Well you was doing fifty-five in a fifty-four”
Though Jay seems to be playing it cool and acting like we should all just wait for the “whole truth” to come out, it’s clear that his association with the luxury brand is simply adding to the list of his problems. So, is Jay Z is being hypocritical or just a staunch businessman?
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Is asking for more from Black art asking for too much? - May 22, 2020
- Why the Grammys don’t matter anymore - February 15, 2019
- Y’all aren’t checking for the Emmys anymore, and it’s about time - September 24, 2018
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018