The ‘X-Men Apocalypse’ Trailer Nearly Made Me Cry
I’m not a crier. I can count on one hand how many times I can remember crying in my lifetime. I tore my ACL and fractured my knee when I was clipped playing football, and I didn’t even shed a tear then. But, when I viewed the epic trailer for X-Men Apocalypse, my eyes got wet with joy.
Superhero movies have literally become their own genre. Marvel and DC have plans for deeply mining their properties for the big screen and small screen, with DC using The CW as its base of operations and Marvel steadily carving our more space on both ABC and Netflix. And with each new iteration or project, the adaptations have better emulated their source material.
Judging by the first trailer for X-Men Apocalypse, we’ll finally be getting the mutant action we’ve been looking for since the first X-Men film debuted way back in 2000.
Here are a few of the iconic moments we can look forward to:
- Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Nightcrawler all appearing like their original selves, but still trying to manage and understand the full extent of their powers
- Archangel in breathtaking form
- A young Storm really flexing her powers
- Another awe-inspiring Quiksilver scene
- An authentic, imposing Apocalypse despite all the needed makeup, costuming, and CGI work
- Professor X finally going bald
X-Men Apocalypse is set to close the trilogy of films that began with X-Men: First Class, hopefully bridging into a new generation of X-Men filmmaking. Within the pages of the comics, the coming of Apocalypse was a defining moment for the X-Men, having lasting effects on many core characters and directing the trajectory of storytelling for years. Hopefully the same can be done in the film world.
X-Men Apocalypse storms theaters on May 27, 2016.
Watch the trailer below:
Photo credit: Screenshot from trailer (20th Century Fox)
Want More Convos Like This One?
Latest posts by Daren W. Jackson (see all)
- Is asking for more from Black art asking for too much? - May 22, 2020
- Why the Grammys don’t matter anymore - February 15, 2019
- Y’all aren’t checking for the Emmys anymore, and it’s about time - September 24, 2018
- ABC doesn’t deserve kudos for canceling ‘Roseanne’ - May 29, 2018
- An open letter to Donald Glover, Childish Gambino, and his anti-Black “This Is America” video - May 14, 2018